Three Churches consolidated to form Spirit of God.
Spirit of God Lutheran Church is a new church in town that worships at the former Zion building across from Lincoln Park at 25th Avenue West. The new church was recently consolidated from three former congregations whose histories go back to the 1880s. All are within four blocks of one another on 3rd Street. Zion has Norwegian roots and held their first organizational meeting in 1888. Bethany consisted of Swedish immigrants and was founded in 1889. Around 1910, younger Swedes who wanted to worship in English ventured forth from Bethany to build Lutheran Church of the Holy Trinity at 27th Ave. W. and 3rd St. For 12 years they worshiped in the basement of the church; the church as it is today was completed in 1924 and an educational wing was added in 1950. Over the years, these churches have supported the work of Lutheran Social Services well known for adoption services, family counseling and other services;Foreign Missions and care of the aging; Meals on Wheels and Kids’ Closet have served the community out of Bethany and Holy Trinity has served free pancake breakfasts once a month and also holding a picnic in Lincoln Park on Duluth night out. AA groups have met at Zion and Holy Trinity. All these will continue to be a part of Spirit of God’s local ministry from the Zion site.